BTS undertakes advocacy efforts in solidarity with our partners in Guatemala. We recognize that injustice in the north and south are linked, and these struggles are inextricably connected. As a network based in Canada, a key focus of our work is geared towards holding the Canadian government and corporations accountable.
BTS advocacy work includes activities such as:
- urgent actions, sign-on letters, MP meetings
- meeting with the Canadian Embassy, keeping them abreast of human rights issues in Guatemala and expressing our concerns
- working collaboratively with other organizations and members of coalitions based in Canada, Guatemala and globally
- organizing delegations to Guatemala and raising awareness within our own communities including speaking tours in the Maritimes by community leaders from Guatemala
- keeping the BTS network informed of issues of concern to our partners through our monthly newsletter, network call-ins and social media
- supporting and amplifying our partners’ work